Re: distro for 486 with 32 MB ram

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 04:42:20PM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 04:04:44PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 03:17:10PM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
 >
> > The box has no user data on it (its all on the big box).  Where do I put
> > the mirror and how do I restore it if the upgrade to Etch fails?
> >
> I was thinking to just open the box, add the 'mirror', make a backup
> image with say 'dd', then remove the original hd. Then make sure it
> boots, maybe use a boot disk to redo grub, and then try the upgrade, if
> the upgrade failes, just pop out the new disk and replace it with the
> old one. done.

I don't have a spare IDE drive.  The origional drive that came with it
(541 MB) has died.  The two in there now were purchased used 7 years ago
for $5.  The 171 MB rescue on the shelf I found in the dump (in a 386
box that was dead).  I have a 8 GB that periodically dies and I don't
use.  I'm not going to buy anything to put into this box.  If I was
going to spend money, I'd just get a slightly newer old box.

Absolute worst case (if HDs all fail) is I pop in my Terminal Mode Linux
and run a serial cable.

Thanks,

Doug.