Re: distro for 486 with 32 MB ram

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:00:22 -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

[...]
> I want a distribution with security support since if I didn't want that
> I could just stick with Woody.
>
> DamnSmallLinux needs to boot from a CD.

there are bootfloppies for DSL

> The 486 will only boot from
> floppy or hard drive.
>
> FreeBSD will run, does anyone have experience with it?

I have a Pentium I 133MHz 32MB RAM Laptop.
I did not try to install FreeBSD on it but NetBSD: it was much faster than
Debian Sarge (needs only 8MB if a "tiny" kernel is used). Eventually I
installed Debian Potato in order to keep an acceptable speed (NetBSD did
not properly recognize an old external PCMCIA 2x CD-ROM reader, nor the
sound card). If your hardware is recognized, NetBSD (stable = 3.1) is
probably the less resource consuming OS I've tried so far.