Re: distro for 486 with 32 MB ram

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 08:16:03PM +0000, didier gaumet wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:00:22 -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
>
> > I want a distribution with security support since if I didn't want that
> > I could just stick with Woody.
> >
> > DamnSmallLinux needs to boot from a CD.
>
> there are bootfloppies for DSL

Yes, I see that now, thanks.
The other issue with DSL is that it will never use 2.4 kernel.  I can't
find any info on the site about a security updates process.  The focus
seems to be "cram as much in a small CD as possible" as opposed to make
as secure a system as possible.  This is, after all, a tool box.

> > FreeBSD will run, does anyone have experience with it?
>
> I have a Pentium I 133MHz 32MB RAM Laptop.
> I did not try to install FreeBSD on it but NetBSD: it was much faster than
> Debian Sarge (needs only 8MB if a "tiny" kernel is used). Eventually I
> installed Debian Potato in order to keep an acceptable speed (NetBSD did
> not properly recognize an old external PCMCIA 2x CD-ROM reader, nor the
> sound card). If your hardware is recognized, NetBSD (stable = 3.1) is
> probably the less resource consuming OS I've tried so far.

Do you know how security updates happen for the BSDs?  I'm trying to
track that down now.

Thanks,

Doug.