ddclient cron job

I'm trying to get ddclient to run as a cronjob, but before I do it I
was wondering if it is not safe to do this.

I normally run under a user account (And not root), and ddclient can't
be run by anyone but the owner (It won't let you run it, even if you
have group access; "/etc/ddclient.conf must only be accessible by it's
owner")

I'm just wondering, before I do anything, if it is safe to chown all
of my files to my user account? Or is there an easier alternative?

I know ddclient can run as a daemon, but most of the time that daemon
doesn't work and I end up just having to run ddclient manually myself.
I'd just like to be able to set it as a cronjob, if that's possible.

Also, if I set it as a root cronjob will that job only happen if/when
I log into root? If it works so that I don't have to be logged into
root then I could avoid a lot of hassle.

Thank you.