Re: ddclient cron job

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:37:29 -0400
Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get ddclient to run as a cronjob, but before I do it I
> was wondering if it is not safe to do this.
>
> I normally run under a user account (And not root), and ddclient can't
> be run by anyone but the owner (It won't let you run it, even if you
> have group access; "/etc/ddclient.conf must only be accessible by it's
> owner")
>
> I'm just wondering, before I do anything, if it is safe to chown all
> of my files to my user account? Or is there an easier alternative?
>
> I know ddclient can run as a daemon, but most of the time that daemon
> doesn't work and I end up just having to run ddclient manually myself.
> I'd just like to be able to set it as a cronjob, if that's possible.
>
> Also, if I set it as a root cronjob will that job only happen if/when
> I log into root? If it works so that I don't have to be logged into
> root then I could avoid a lot of hassle.
>
> Thank you.

Just invoke ddclient from a script in one of the directories mentioned
in /etc/crontab. Your script will run regardless of which users are
logged in (or not).

You can also set up your DHCP client to run ddclient when the IP
address changes. How you would do that depends on which DHCP client you
use. See the file /usr/share/doc/ddclient/README.gz for some examples.

--

Liam