Re: Sneakernet .deb packages by usb thumb?

On Sun, 2007-03-18 at 19:32 -0700, chussung@gmail.com wrote:
> My desktop debian system is at home with no available internet
> connection.
>
> Work provides internet with no linux.
>
> is there any way to aquire .deb packages from the repository and take
> them home on a usb for install/upgrade?
>
> I have poured through the pages with no luck.

Try this:
go to http://packages.debian.org

Search for the package(s) you want, make sure you get the correct
version (stable or testing). Download the .deb file. If there are
dependancies, you'll need to download them as well. Copy the *deb files
onto your USB stick, and run them to the other computer.

On the other computer, run 'sudo dpkg -i FILE.deb', where FILE.deb is
the package you wanted, or it's dependency. You may have issues if you
install the package before you install it's dependency, so try to do
those first.

I think you can actually download a Debian installation CD and burn it,
then add the cd to your /etc/apt/sources.list file, and grab packages
from it via your favorite package manager.

--
Matthew K Poer