Re: Very slow network - Ubuntu

Marty wrote:
A. Ben Hmeda wrote:

I have an Internet router for sharing cable Internet connection. 3 PCs plugged into this router, class C network, I think. All with static IPs 192.168.1.2,3 and 4. Gateway (router) is 192.168.1.1 DNS is my ISP's 64.71.255.198 I am using 100Mb Ethernet and 10/100Mb router. My Internet connection speed is only 1Mbps (max) My internet download speeds range from 90kB/s to 114kB/s. Under Ubuntu, they crawl at 15kB/s to 25kB/s max! under static IP setup or dhcp setup.

I forgot to mention before, that details about your NIC and kernel may also be relevant. See below.

2.6.15-28-k7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 1 16:36:09 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

The machine with the problem is my AMDSMP. I have had absolutely no problem with network speed (internal and external) until I installed Dapper. As it is now, it is a dual booting machine (win2k and ubuntu)

The point I was trying to make is to determine whether the problem (with Ubuntu) exists in the LAN traffic as well as in the internet connection traffic. Whether the slowdown also occurs in LAN traffic, or alternatively, only with internet traffic, this information would tend to narrow down the problem a great deal and could help point to the cause.

It exists on both lan and wan. I tested using file transfer (smb) between my machine and kidpc (win2k) and found that by re-issuing the command /etc/init.d/networking restart, the transfer speed within LAN almost doubled.

Previously, it ran Debian Sarge, Fedora Core 4 and 5, alongside win2k without any problems. Presently, my network speed is fine under windows, was fine under Sarge, Fedora 4 and 5 on the same machine, except for ubuntu.

Although that makes physical layer issues less likely, it doesn't eliminate them. The only way to completely eliminate physical layer issues is to swap cables, router ports, and (lastly) NICs. These kinds of tests should probably be the first things to try because they are so easy to do, although they have a very low probability of being the cause.

As I was poking around, trying to figure this out, I noticed that network speed is drastically improved, back to 90kB to 114kB under Ubuntu when, in GNOME, I open the System>>Administration>>Networking and just click OK, without actually changing anything! This makes no sense to me and I have no explanation for it, it certainly does not change the content in my /etc/network/interfaces but I was able to duplicate the steps with same results every time. Is the System>>Administration>>Networking>>OK the same as /etc/init.d/networking restart?

I don't know, but you could find out by executing the command on the CLI as root. If it fixes the problem then it could be a NIC driver initialization issue. Then you should start experimenting with different drivers and NICs to narrow down the cause. Otherwise we may not be able to exclude the "ghosts" hypothesis proposed by another list member. :O

Re-issuing the command fixes the problem, I will live with it as I have no more PCI slots left to install another NIC.

Thank you all so much for the help.