Re: Installing Debian from a memory stick

Bob wrote:
andy wrote:
Hi all

A few weeks' back I asked for some ideas re: installing Debian on a laptop with a dodgy CD-R/W. I was wondering if I could do so using a USB memory stick and if anyone has tried this. My primary concern is in whether or not the BIOS will recognise the USB stick at boot, and how I might encourage it to do so, or - alternatively - get to the boot stage and then do the rest with a memory stick. If this involves using floppies to get into a boot routine, which of the files are best for loading onto floppies for this purpose?

It depends on the laptop, my GF has a Sony VAIO TR somthingorother which won't boot any USB device except a Sony USB floppy, apparently it's a BIOS restriction, (complete bar stewards) don't know if it'll net boot either as I've never tried, but that may be your best option.

Assuming you have access to computer with a working burner and CD Rom, download the DSL CD ISO, burn it, boot it, use it to create a bootable USB thumb drive and try it.
http://damnsmalllinux.org/

If it works you can use DSL to install Debian.

Once you have set up your BIOS and tested that you can boot from the USB (as above), you can install Debian. To install Debian from USB memory stick you need to download an image for it like |hd-media/boot.img.gz|

See http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apas02.html.

--
Chris.