Re: BellSouth DSL with Static IP

Richard A Nelson wrote:

When I had BellSouth service, I completely ignored their instructions
(and required windows only install CD) and set my netopia up for PPPoE -
and it just worked.

We can indeed "surf" reverting back to the default settings.

Indeed, default settings include the PPPoE end point being the Netopia. However, by default it NAT's the connection which makes the fact they include 5 static IP's basically useless.

Maybe there is some sort of middle ground that the PPPoE end point remains the Netopia box, but its NAT function is able to be disabled.

Following are the steps I got one of the BellSouth tech people to tell me in order to be able to utilize the static IP addresses:

Bridge Mode:
Basic Mode / Left
Expert Mode / Left
Yes
Configure Tab
WAN Tab
Wan IP Interface
PPPoE VCC1
Unchech NAT
Submit Button
WAB tab again
Uncheck Enable Gateway
Submit Button
Advanced Tab / Left
Services / Eth Bridge - Click on
Check box for Enable System Bridge
Submit
Yellow icon in the top right
save/restart

In the ppp options files, you can force a static IP, but inmnsho, you're
far better off to do pppoe in the modem and let the modem serve DHCP for
the lan behind it.

The first half (pppoe in the modem) I am fine with. This connects to a Debian Linux based firewall, thus no need for DHCP... my goal is to simply enter an IP address for the outside interface in the firewall... AND for it to actually work! ;-)

BellSouth, back when I used them, did not like a network being attached
- they wanted to charge per box and provide their own equipment.

Since they advertise 5 static IP's, I think they have reason to suspect the clients have some sort of network. ;-)

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems