Re: microphone

>> Mark Grieveson wrote:
>>> More teeth grittin' sound issues, which are a plenty with good ol'
>>> Linux!

>>> I bought a cheap microphone, to record my voice on a wav file.  I
>>> opened gnome-sound-recorder (of the gnome-media package), and, under
>>> "Record from input:", I  selected "microphone".  However, it kept
>>> switching to "AC97", and not recording anything (I began feeling
>>> like the woman in Demon Seed, trying to instruct the computer to do
>>> something, only to have it refuse, and want its own way).  I opened
>>> the volume control, and unmuted the microphone, and unmuted the
>>> capture.  But, it just kept remuting the microphone, and remuting
>>> the capture, and the sound-recorder kept switching back to AC97
>>> (Demon Seed....it's acting on its own now....getting ready to screw
>>> me good). Eventually, I did manage to record my voice (I'm still not
>>> sure how I did this, though.)  I then tried to play it back, but got
>>> feedback. So, I muted the microphone, and muted the capture.....yet,
>>> still, I got feedback when playing the recording back (Demon
>>> Seed..... my computer is getting ready to screw me, I just know it).

>>> I'm anticipating that an odd mutation of my own DNA, and my
>>> computer, will eventually see the sun upon its face.  However, I'm
>>> HOPING that I can simply figure out how to record, and subsequently
>>> play back my voice, without all this fuss.  So, if anyone out there
>>> can assist me in asserting my human dominance over my computer, I
>>> would appreciate it.  I'm running Etch, on an old Pentium III.

>>> Mark

>> Try audacity.

>> ->HS

>> PS: Using a microphone connected with the mic socket of a computer's
>> sound card is not going to give you a good quality sound. For that
>> you need a mic and a pre-amp that is connected to the line-in of the
>> sound card.

>> PPS: Could you please wrap your text in your messages. Thanks.

> I listened to a podcast recently (The Linux Action Show) and they were
> discussing this issue.  It turns out that they use another recording
> device, then use audacity to mix the their recording and create the
> finished podcast.  They say if they try to use audacity to do the
> recording directly, they get feedback.

> Joe

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll try audacity, and look into getting a
pre-amp for the line-in of the sound card.  Also, thanks for letting me
know that I was unwrapped (and I was also flying low); so, after
zipping and wrapping up, hopefully I'm now presentable.

Glad to hear too, from the Linux Action Show, that others have had
similar issues.  Good to know I'm not alone.

Mark.