Re: microphone

H.S. wrote:
> Mark Grieveson wrote:
>> More teeth grittin' sound issues, which are a plenty with good ol' Linux!
>>
>> I bought a cheap microphone, to record my voice on a wav file.  I
>> opened gnome-sound-recorder (of the gnome-media package), and, under
>> "Record from input:", I  selected "microphone".  However, it kept
>> switching to "AC97", and not recording anything (I began feeling like
>> the woman in Demon Seed, trying to instruct the computer to do
>> something, only to have it refuse, and want its own way).  I opened
>> the volume control, and unmuted the microphone, and unmuted the
>> capture.  But, it just kept remuting the microphone, and remuting the
>> capture, and the sound-recorder kept switching back to AC97 (Demon
>> Seed....it's acting on its own now....getting ready to screw me good).
>> Eventually, I did manage to record my voice (I'm still not sure how I
>> did this, though.)  I then tried to play it back, but got feedback.
>> So, I muted the microphone, and muted the capture.....yet, still, I
>> got feedback when playing the recording back (Demon Seed..... my
>> computer is getting ready to screw me, I just know it).
>>
>> I'm anticipating that an odd mutation of my own DNA, and my computer,
>> will eventually see the sun upon its face.  However, I'm HOPING that I
>> can simply figure out how to record, and subsequently play back my
>> voice, without all this fuss.  So, if anyone out there can assist me
>> in asserting my human dominance over my computer, I would appreciate
>> it.  I'm running Etch, on an old Pentium III.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> Try audacity.
>

> ->HS
>
> PS: Using a microphone connected with the mic socket of a computer's
> sound card is not going to give you a good quality sound. For that you
> need a mic and a pre-amp that is connected to the line-in of the sound
> card.
>
> PPS: Could you please wrap your text in your messages. Thanks.

I listened to a podcast recently (The Linux Action Show) and they were
discussing this issue.  It turns out that they use another recording
device, then use audacity to mix the their recording and create the
finished podcast.  They say if they try to use audacity to do the
recording directly, they get feedback.

Joe

- --