Re: Running Debian with kernel from other distro....

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 22:16 -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 10:27:46PM +0100, Marcin Giedz wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Perhaps what I'm planing to do is not very "legal" but it seems I have
> > no chance :(
> > I've got EMC disk array which recently I was able to connect using
> > QLogic FC card to my server. However I can only use one PATH from my
> > server to EMC so natural failover which comes with EMC can't be
> > achieved. EMC AX 150 has 2 FC controllers where every contains 2 FC
> > channel. So basically I could use 2 servers connected directly to two
> > different controllers or even use SAN but.... not with Debian :(
> >
> > EMC has PowerPath software but it's binary version including kernel
> > modules - which is the BIGGEST problem I found. They are compiled for
> > RHEL or SUSE so can't be used on others distros. But ... this idea came
> > to my mind today and I what to ask you if this is possible at all?
> >
> > Can I build/create debian-installer based on redhat kernel which is
> > dedicated for EMC PowerPath? I mean .... I'd like to use BINARY version
> > of this kernel with all external modules which come with EMC and prepare
> > debian-installer with such kernel.
> >
> > Has anyone tried something like this ever?
> Google found this [0] link about someone installing sarge and using an
> emc-ax100.
> http://www.pri.univie.ac.at/index.php?m=D&t=main&c=show&CEWebS_what=Installing~32~a~32~SAN~32~Clariion~32~EMC-AX100~32~on~32~a~32~Debian~32~Server

I have to say, that looks good. But when most things "howtos" say "Get
the Vanilla Kernel" as the Debian Kernel won't work... I call bollocks.
Well, except for that fact that 2.6.8 in sarge is old. Etch, should work
just fine.

There isn't any thing I've installed I haven't been able to get working
with a "current" Debian kernel. Of course, I use Sid for everything,
everything I personally manage and have responsibility for and close
proximity to and don't generally have "vendor" support as this "Linux
other than RedHat or SUSE" is foreign and unsupported.

Sheesh.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup