Re: OT: Linux Interview Questions

On Thursday 15 March 2007 14:28, you wrote:

> If a server is an application, then you can't put a window manager on it.

Hence the speech marks around the noun server.

> If a server is a machine, then you can do so, but you probably don't want
> to since it consumes system resources for tasks that are not core to the
> server.

How so? If it's not being put to useful work the process sleeps, and it's
memory is swapped out if it's needed for something else... this is the whole
point of an operating system.

> I can think of some cases where it would make sense to break this "rule",
> but it seems right to me in the main.

Yeah, in most cases you wouldn't need X on a box that's generally headless.
But there are situations where you might. I don't believe in "rules" but
instead "sensible explanations". People have this Slashdot mentality where
their solution is *the right way(TM)* whereby they instantly chastise anyone
that thinks differently. Frankly, if you're going to employ someone, do you
want the mindless idiot that parrots all the "rules" they read from some
ranting fool's blog or someone that has the capability to actually think and
develop a solution that is not only suitable but also sensible?