Re: OT: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:49:11 -0500
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

[snip]

> Genetic change may happen, but it's not caused (or guaranteed, or even
> prompted to go in a positive or a negative direction) by extinction
> events. The extinction of one sub-group does not automatically add
> improvement to the surviving group.

What you're saying is perfectly clear to me; Darwinian evolution
requires as a *precondition* that there be some mechanism by which new
genotypes / phenotypes can develop. Darwinism then explains how the
ratios of old vs. new will trend over time.

Celejar