Re: OT: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

Ron Johnson wrote in Article <[🔎] 45F8B1B2.2030206@cox.net> posted to
gmane.linux.debian.user:

>> This does not change my point that "there's a disconnect in the thinking
>> that the extinction of the less-fit automatically means the survivors
>> have seen some sort of improvement".
>>
>> It's like a population of crayons consisting of red and green crayons,
>> and all the green crayons one day get eaten by Homer Simpson, leaving
>> only the red crayons. The extinction of the green does not explain the
>> origin of the red. It only means the red survived.
>
> Bad analogy, since crayons can't mutate and aren't affected by hormones.

You've never seen cheapo crayons (like Prang crayons) left out on a hot (ie
over 70 degrees Fahrenheit) day or in the possession of an adolescent
artist then.  :o)

More seriously, though, it does demonstrate that mass die-offs or survival
aren't necessarily the products of genetics, which is what the point to the
analogy was.