Re: Bug in acroread?

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:58:49 +0100
Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:

> Celejar wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:23:27 +0100
> > Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >> As for acroread goes, it has turned into a huge package.  The version in
> >> my apt-cache shows 7.0.9, which is not the newest version, and it's a
> >> whopping 22911748 bytes.  I imagine that 8.0 is even bigger.
> >>
> >> While KPDF may not be as feature rich, it does the job, and weighs in at
> >> 742592 bytes, and can embed nicely into konqueror.
> >
> > Don't forget that kpdf is based on xpdf (which is what I use).
>
> Ah the hidden dependencies.  xpdf is a dummy package, that pulls in
> xpdf-reader and xpdf-utils and xpdf-common.  Adding those up comes quite
> close to what acroread uses, so I guess my comparison is pretty useless.

Um, no.

		Compressed Size:	Uncompressed Size

xpdf-common	60.9			258
xpdf-reader	769			1937
xpdf-utils	1393			3543

total		2222.9			5738

acroread	22.9M			56M

So acroread uses about 10 times as much space as xpdf (and I haven't
even looked closely at acroread's dependencies vs. those of xpdf).

> I guess it is almost like comparing different types of apples.  The one
> thing to remember though is that all of the above mentioned files are
> open source except for acroread.  For people that are dfsg purists, they
> would balk at the idea of installing it.

I'm not a hard-line purist, but enough of one to strongly prefer the
dfsg option barring a compelling reason otherwise.

> Personally, I have no problem with proprietary software, if there is no
> viable alternative.  For example, I use the nvidia (9755) drivers
> because the open source version is pitifully slow on this system, and it
> can't support beryl.

Madwifi is one of the only non-free bits I use, and it is really in the
spirit of freedom.

Celejar