Re: Bug in acroread?

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 03/13/07 01:16, Joe Hart wrote:
> [snip]
>> Since you know so much about PDF files, let me ask you another
>> question. Does PDF have DRM capabilities built in?
>
> They can be password encrypted.  Don't know about anything else.

Arguably the worst feature, however, may be the ability to 'phone home'
and tell the creator of the pdf when, were and by whom the document is
read/printed or what else...

/=============
$ aptitude show acroread-plugins
Package: acroread-plugins
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 7.0.9-0.1
 Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing and printing Adobe Portable Document
Format (PDF) files.

 This package contains plugins who enable javascript in acroread and
thus make acroread able to
 send to a remote host which pdf files you are reading. See
http://lwn.net/Articles/129729/

Debian is the one distribution I know, where Christian Marillat splits
the acroread package from adobe into two separate packages, so that
users who don't require the spyware just don't install it.

(If for some reason they can't or don't want to use the free alternatives.)

Johannes