Re: Bug in acroread?

Joe Hart wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

This is a limitation of the tools, not the file format.

There is no such problem with other files.  Unfortunately, PDF has
become a standard.  Luckily there are gpl tools that can handle them,
but I don't think you can thank adobe for that.

Yes, you can. The format is proprietary, but published, and they
don't charge licensing fees, unlike GIF, for example.

Mike

Hmm, perhaps my prejudice against Adobe is mistaken.  If the format is
open, unlike some other formats for documents, then it will just be a
matter of time before someone creates a tool that does what I want.
Perhaps if nobody is willing to take up the task, then I myself will
start such a project.  Of course, that would be fr down my "to-do" list.

Since you know so much about PDF files, let me ask you another question.
Does PDF have DRM capabilities built in?

That I don't know. However, I don't want to overstate the case.
PDF has page layout in it. It is not something which allows one
to reformat the pages, at least not easily. So, while one could
easily write a program to print "letter" pages on A4 without
lots of white space, the pages would not fall on the physical
page boundaries. It's not like TeX, for example.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.