Re: No Mouse in X

On 3/6/07, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
Dave Walker wrote:
> In summary, my problem was that X would load but the mouse would be
> frozen on the screen.
>
> Bingo, Andrew - your suggestion that there might be interference by
> another utility (maybe gpm) causing the problem proved to be the
> case.....
>
> I issued the command:        killall gpm
>
> and then :                          startx
>
> and I now have a working gnome desktop.

You can  keep gpm if you want by telling it to repeat data as ms3 and
then configure the mouse in X to be on /dev/gpmdata.

--
Kent

Got the mouse to work as desired using a bit of advice from here and
there (mostly here!) - thanks everyone.....

This what I did to make the mouse behave in X.............

- located my      gpm.conf        in directory          /etc/

- edited to confirm/change the following lines:

          device=/dev/psaux/             (was already there)
          repeat_type=raw                 (changed to this)
          type=ps2                              (ditto)

- then edited my X configuration file in the mouse device section:

                                     /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

          /dev/psaux    ===========>  /dev/gpmdata

This had to be done logged on as root.

Note: I needed to re-boot to make the changes take effect. Just
logging out and in again didn't make the changes take effect.

Thanks again to the group
Dave W.