No Mouse in X

Running Sarge 3.1 with kernel 2.4.27-2-386

I have been having problems configuring my mouse in X.

My initial install was from the Sarge 3.1 cd's prior to my having an
active internet connection. My install was via:

apt-get install x-window-system  (from cd's)

I am considering removing x and reinstalling from the net, to see if
my installation will become functional.

I think the command to remove x should be:

apt-get --purge remove x-window-system                   , then to run

apt-get install x-window-system  (from the net)

Keeping in mind that I am a Debian newbie, does anybody see any
problems with this approach?

Thanks all
Dave W.