Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On  8 Mar, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 12:42:24PM -0500, judd@wadsworth.org wrote:
>>
>>      While government bureaucracies may in general be wasteful,
>> medicare is currently more efficient than any private plan.  I'm not
>> sure that the "free market" guarantees the best results for products
>> or services which are not truly commodities, and I place health care
>> in this category.
>>
> You keep saying that.  Please provide a source.
>
> Regards,

     I have read this in several places.  A quick google today shows
various studies that show medicare efficiency at 2.1 - 6 %, compared to
a range of 12 - 30 % for various private plans.  There are also comments
that the medicare numbers may be too optimistic, but I don't see anyone
claiming that private plans are the more efficient.  If I have time
later I'll do a literature search, rather than try to slog through
the google stuff to try and determine the best numbers.

-Chris

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                      judd@wadsworth.org   |