Re: 65535 outbound connections

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 01:43:20PM +0200, Atis wrote:
> On 3/9/07, Niklaus <niklaus@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >I could be wrong in the below description or might have misunderstood
> >many of the concepts , please correct appropriately.
> >
> > 65535 ports can allowed . So on a  machine namely C you can have max
> >65535 outbound connections
>
> There can be simultaneous connections to one port. For example
> apache's httpd - it listens port 80, does that mean, it can serve only
> one connection? nope. Once connection is established, it's forwarded
> to another thread, that have connection id, and processes it.

There cannot be simultaneous connections to one port (at least under
IPv4, not sure if such a thing is possible in IPv6).  The way apache
works, is that when it receives connection, it hands it off to a thread
on another port.  Just do a netstat (or a watch -n1 'netstat -ntp') to
see it in action.

Regards,

-Roberto

--