Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 10:33:18AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

> There's a difference between fighting a war because the planet is in
> immediate danger and complicating a civil war or other largely internal
> conflict.  We did the former in both world wars.  We've done the latter in
> Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq.  We started off good in Afghanistan before we
> started hiring warlords again, setting us up for the next American-funded
> terrorist to attack America.

Umm, prior to WWI and WWII we had an isolationist bent.  We waited for
the problem to get to us.  Personally, I am glad that Saddam was taken
out before he could do something foolish and plunge the whole Middle
East (and subsequently the *planet*) into war.

> The missile crisis and continued embargo against a nation that would be
> impotent even without it now that the Soviet Union is ancient world
> history.

The embargo against Cuba is an abberation.  It is primarily driven by
the very politically influential and financially powerful Cuban refugee
community in the US.  Trust me on this.  Any politician with any sort of
hopes in South Florida, has to be in favor of strengthening the embargo
before anything else.  Basically, the people who were forced to leave
Cuba are taking out their anger against Castro and the manifestation of
that is the embargo.

> It's a little harsh to criticize foreign policy when we do something right
> for a change.  About the only reason we could not have done more to help is
> that America is bankrupt largely due to Republican administrations
> increasing expenditures on their pet projects exponentially while cutting
> revenue.  I'd have more respect for neoconservatives if they could
> demonstrate some second-grade math skills by balancing a checkbook.

I'm not criticizing the aid sent to tsunami relief.  Though, like you,
I'd like it if the Republicans quit spending like it is going out of
style.  BTW, the Republicans did not cut revenues, they cut tax rates,
which has an overall beneficial effect for the economy (even if it does
cause revenues to go down in the short term).

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez