Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 04:31:45PM -1000, Al Eridani wrote:
> On 3/4/07, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
>
> >See, and I have been losing respect for the rest of world for
> >interfering too much in people's daily lives and sitting idly by (or
> >providing only token participation) while the US protects them
>
> Oh this is just too funny! The US protecting the rest of the world?
> When? Where? Hawaii? Cuba? The Philippines? Guatemala?

You mean like Korea, Japan (post-WWII), *ALL* of Europe?  As has already
been pointed out, if not for the US, everybody in western Europe would
be speaking only German today.

> Oh, these are too old for you, ignorant of History as you are, having
> been educated here in the US. What about something more recent?
>
> Cuba, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Chile, El Salvador,
> Grenada???!!!!, Nicaragua, Panama, Afghanistan, Iraq.

Cuba, you mean like during the Spanish-American war?  Like when the US
helped them gain independence from Spain?

Not sure about Indonesia.

Vietnam was a complete disaster because of LBJ.  Laos and Cambodia?  Not
sure.  They allowed the Viet Cong to operate the Ho Chi Minh Trail and
other logistical operations through their territory.

Not sure what refernces to Chile, El Salvador or Nicaragua you are
making.  Grenada was already covered.  Panama was under US protection
until Jimmy Carter gave away the canal.

Of course, Afghanistan and Iraq are ongoing.  In Iraq, the US military
is doing a tremendous job in the face of an enemy bent on killing
innocents.

> >renders massive aid to the victims of natural disaster.
>
> You must have been in a deserted island 14 months ago when
> the earthquake and the tsunami in Indonesia happened. The US
> government was publicly shamed when it announced the niggardly
> sum it had decided to donate and it had to quickly make it much
> larger to deflect ridicule.

First of all, the quake/tsunami in Indonesia was in December 2004.

"On February 9, 2005, President Bush asked Congress to increase the U.S.
commitment to a total of $950 million. Officials estimated that billions
of dollars would be needed. Bush also asked his father, former President
George H. W. Bush, and former President Bill Clinton to lead a U.S.
effort to provide private aid to the tsunami victims."

Oooh, look at that.  The requested amount for aid was increased a second
time.  The US must have *really* been shamed the first time.  Come on,
mistakes happen.  Besides, our economy had been going down the crapper
since Bush took office (just go ask the Democrats, they'll tell you so)
and maybe we didn't have as much to provide.

Here is another little tidbit:

"For example, in the UK the public donated roughly L330,000,000 sterling
(nearly US$600,000,000). This considerably outweighed the donation by
the government and came to about L5.50 (US$10) donated by each and every
citizen."

Why don't you go beat up on the Brits some?

> Like so many of your compatriots, you seem to live in a fantasy
> world.

No.  I live in the real world and I realize that people make mistakes.
You should also try having some grace about you and being a little more
forgiving.

Regards,

-Roberto

--