Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 04:31:45PM -1000, Al Eridani wrote:
>> On 3/4/07, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
>>
>> >See, and I have been losing respect for the rest of world for
>> >interfering too much in people's daily lives and sitting idly by (or
>> >providing only token participation) while the US protects them
>>
>> Oh this is just too funny! The US protecting the rest of the world?
>> When? Where? Hawaii? Cuba? The Philippines? Guatemala?
>>
> You mean like Korea, Japan (post-WWII), *ALL* of Europe?  As has already
> been pointed out, if not for the US, everybody in western Europe would
> be speaking only German today.

There's a difference between fighting a war because the planet is in
immediate danger and complicating a civil war or other largely internal
conflict.  We did the former in both world wars.  We've done the latter in
Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq.  We started off good in Afghanistan before we
started hiring warlords again, setting us up for the next American-funded
terrorist to attack America.

>> Oh, these are too old for you, ignorant of History as you are, having
>> been educated here in the US. What about something more recent?
>>
>> Cuba, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Chile, El Salvador,
>> Grenada???!!!!, Nicaragua, Panama, Afghanistan, Iraq.
>>
> Cuba, you mean like during the Spanish-American war?  Like when the US
> helped them gain independence from Spain?

The missile crisis and continued embargo against a nation that would be
impotent even without it now that the Soviet Union is ancient world
history.

>> You must have been in a deserted island 14 months ago when
>> the earthquake and the tsunami in Indonesia happened. The US
>> government was publicly shamed when it announced the niggardly
>> sum it had decided to donate and it had to quickly make it much
>> larger to deflect ridicule.
>>
> First of all, the quake/tsunami in Indonesia was in December 2004.
>
> "On February 9, 2005, President Bush asked Congress to increase the U.S.
> commitment to a total of $950 million. Officials estimated that billions
> of dollars would be needed. Bush also asked his father, former President
> George H. W. Bush, and former President Bill Clinton to lead a U.S.
> effort to provide private aid to the tsunami victims."

It's a little harsh to criticize foreign policy when we do something right
for a change.  About the only reason we could not have done more to help is
that America is bankrupt largely due to Republican administrations
increasing expenditures on their pet projects exponentially while cutting
revenue.  I'd have more respect for neoconservatives if they could
demonstrate some second-grade math skills by balancing a checkbook.