Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 10:33:18AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>
>> There's a difference between fighting a war because the planet is in
>> immediate danger and complicating a civil war or other largely internal
>> conflict.  We did the former in both world wars.  We've done the latter
>> in
>> Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq.  We started off good in Afghanistan before we
>> started hiring warlords again, setting us up for the next American-funded
>> terrorist to attack America.
>>
> Umm, prior to WWI and WWII we had an isolationist bent.  We waited for
> the problem to get to us.  Personally, I am glad that Saddam was taken
> out before he could do something foolish and plunge the whole Middle
> East (and subsequently the *planet*) into war.

If you support the war, prove it by joining the military.  Put up or shut
up.

>> The missile crisis and continued embargo against a nation that would be
>> impotent even without it now that the Soviet Union is ancient world
>> history.
>>
> The embargo against Cuba is an abberation.  It is primarily driven by
> the very politically influential and financially powerful Cuban refugee
> community in the US.  Trust me on this.  Any politician with any sort of
> hopes in South Florida, has to be in favor of strengthening the embargo
> before anything else.  Basically, the people who were forced to leave
> Cuba are taking out their anger against Castro and the manifestation of
> that is the embargo.

Why are we letting people who came here on a floating door make our policy
anyway?

> BTW, the Republicans did not cut revenues, they cut tax rates, which has
> an overall beneficial effect for the economy (even if it does cause
> revenues to go down in the short term).

Yeah, to the tune of $500,000/yr per job created.  Too bad almost all of
those jobs ended up being poverty wage shit jobs.  Would have been nice if
they came out and said that was their plan so everybody could clearly see
how insane it was before voting...