Re: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 10:18:22AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

> I'm not quite sure where to find the numbers, but I seem to recall Portland,
> Ore has a larger and more travelled transit system than Chicago and has
> since a public corporation (TriMet) bought out all the failing private
> rapid transit companies in the region (like Oregon Electric Railroad,
> Portland Traction, etc).

I think the numbers I found only considered individual transit companies
or authorities in a particular urban area.  I think a more apt
comparison to the system you describe would be the entire Chicagoland
area, which almost certainly has a bigger transit system.

> > The number one requirement for any public transportation system is that
> > it be ubiquitous and accessible.
>
> Indeed.  One thing that is an unfortunate stumbling block is the number of
> relatively sparse neighborhoods that cropped up after the elimination of
> most public transportation in favor of freeways.

You seem to have this misconception that before cars, everyone used
public transit.  In reality, people rode horses or carriages and walked.
Public transit was known in only a few cities, mostly the bigger and
more densely populated.

> > I don't know what it is you have against people who prefer to live in
> > the suburbs and not in the city itself.
>
> I don't have a problem with people who live in the suburbs if they're
> willing to accept the fact that it's going to take a bit of time to get
> anyplace regardless of your transportation options and are willing to pick
> the best tool for the job.

OK.  We are in agreement on this :-)

> > You know, I'd love to see cars go away.  Why don't you give yours up?
> > Personally, I like living out in the country.  It is worth it to me to
> > deal with the daily commute so that in my off time I can enjoy the
> > scenery and being out in the country.
>
> I like living in a region where it's nigh impossible to get a building
> permit in rural areas for anything other than agribusiness.  It's rather
> selfish of people to think we should have to pay higher taxes to maintain
> greater wear on rural roads, blight productive or scenic land and breathe
> more air pollution just so someone can have a super-long commute to the
> city instead of just taking a vacation.

Well, on this we are not in agreement :-)

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez