[debian-user] Virus, Trojan, and Worm

Has antivirus software advanced to the point that the following excerpt from Debian Administration (dated late 2004) is now invalid? I added the square brackets and their content.

"Viruses are a fact of life nowadays, be they real viruses or worms which require manual intervention on the [be]half of a user to [prevent] propogate[propogation]. Unix systems tend to be immune from the viruses themselves, but they still have mail queues full of viral messages."

On Linux I never worried about such things but on Windows every day was a problem, especially with worms. The antivirus software would identify the worm and it's location and the antivirus developers said that worm extraction was manual and not automated. I found this true until recently when the newer versions on Windows now seem to automatically extract the worm. So I was wondering (because of this article) if it is now out dated and if the Linux antivirus packages now automatically deal with the worms. I could never understand why removal of a worm was a problem for an antivirus package. According to the developers all ll I had to do was compress the worm infested file and then delete the file. If I remember right I had my own approach which was to move the infested file into a temp mail directory and then delete the directory .

Thanks, Ted