Re: [debian-user] Virus, Trojan, and Worm

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 02:36:46PM -0700, Ted Hilts - Thunderbird Acct. wrote:
> Has antivirus software advanced to the point that the following excerpt
> from Debian Administration (dated late 2004) is now invalid?  I added
> the square brackets and their content.
>
> "Viruses are a fact of life nowadays, be they real viruses or worms
> which require manual intervention on the [be]half of a user to [prevent]
> propogate[propogation]. Unix systems tend to be immune from the viruses
> themselves, but they still have mail queues full of viral messages."

99.9% of evil programs (virus,worm,..) are written to run on a
machine(real or virtual) with a ms OS. A free OS machine can store an
email with an evil program with no damage to itself but if that email is
forwarded to a person with a ms OS, they could be affected.