Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 05:12:55PM +0700, Ken Heard wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> >seriously though, and unfortunately, for many people it *is*
> >core. Having X totally crap out on them would be a good thing, IMO.
> >

> 	Well, it happened to me; but I did not consider it A Good Thing,
> 	as it almost hung the box.  I had to log on in an F terminal to recover
> my data and move it to my laptop which had a functioning gui.
>
> 	I couldn't get Xfree86 started again (this was a Sarge box).
> 	Sometime next month I will install Etch on that box.  Maybe by then RC2
> will be available, rather than wait for Etch stable.  (I know Etch
> stable is on its way, and so is Christmas.)

dang, Ken, gettin' behind on the reading there? ;-)

Of course, I was speaking rhetorically about the benefits that many
people would gain from actually learning how their computer
works. Having a non-functionging X system could help in that.

I have no desire to see someone's X system bork and take the whole
system down or lose data.