Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

Paul Johnson wrote:
(snip)
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
I read in one of the textbooks (forget which one, sorry) that US actually
did try switching to kmph (kilometers per hour) from mph (miles per hour)
in regards to road signs etc., But then people had a hard time following
it. The government considered it as a failure and switched back. Someone
please correct me if I am wrong.

It's a state-by-state thing.  So far, to date, in the US I have only seen
kilometers listed on highway signs in California (this says bad things
about the metric system if California's the only one to adopt it here),
listed side-by-side with English measures, and only on the Pan American
Highway (I think CalTrans is assuming a lot of intercontinental traffic or
something...)
(I'm way behind in reading this thread).

In Arizona the Interstate leading from Tucson to Mexico has the distances in kilometers but the speeds in MPH.

Paul Scott