Re: OT: Here we go again.

On 3/4/07, s. keeling <keeling@spots.ab.ca> wrote:
Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org>:
>  s. keeling wrote:
> > Retaliation is not initiation.  You are entirely within your rights to
> > defend yourself.  You'd be a fool not to.
>
>      In fact one could argue it is morally reprehensible not to.

I agree, but we're certainly in the minority camp:

Retaliation is not self-defense.

If somebody has slapped you in the face, you cannot defend yourself
against that for the simple reason that it has already happened and you
have no power to undo it.

You can try to defend yourself from further blows, but that would not be
retaliation.

You can try to get redress through the legal system, but that would not
be retaliation, either.