Re: OT: Here we go again.

Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com>:

>  On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 07:57:26PM -0500, Curt Howland wrote:
> >
> > Mr. Sanchez, it is now very clear one of the reasons these off-topic
> > postings have been going on so long: You are utterly ignorant of the
> > reality of politics.
> >
> > Just because I consider it wrong to coerce others, in no way effects
> > the right of any being to effectively and violently defend itself
> > against those who _DO_ choose to use coercion.
> >
> > Assuming a peaceful man is a pacifist is irrational. Didn't you ever
> > watch _Kung Fu_ as a kid?
>
>  Right, and the section that you quoted included this phrase: "under
>  any circumstances, to initiate force against another human being"
>
>  To me, that disallows self-defense.  If I get punched in the face and I

As in, _someone initiates force_ against you ...

>  decide to realiate, then I have initiated force against my attacker.

Retaliation is not initiation.  You are entirely within your rights to
defend yourself.  You'd be a fool not to.

>  Now, that is in response to his attack and so is in self-defense.
>  However, I still have to initiate [something].

You may be initiating the courage to stand up against your attacker,
but that's something else altogether.

>  idea of my political views.  Can you cut me a break for an honest
>  mistake?

Not when you continue to make them.  Self-defence is not initiation of
force.

IFF English isn't your mother tongue (I don't know), I'd happily cut
you slack for that.  If so, this is merely a language based
misunderstanding.  My expertise is sorely lacking in foreign language
skills, and I envy those (such as you?) who manage as well as they do
in this often ridiculous language.  Many twenty-somethings who were
born into it do far worse these days.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html