Re: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

Steve Lamb wrote:

>     For us it's simpler.  We drive to the airport, part where we want (of
> which there is ample parking) and take the shuttle which drops us off at
> the
> terminal of our choice.  Since the shuttles are designed to carry
> passengers and their luggage no problems with the luggage.

For us, it's easier.  The airport is only open 18 hours out of the day, and
the train has it's own terminal at the airport and runs to it 20 hours out
of the day, right into the ticketing counters, leaving the car parked at a
safe, gaurded station instead of an expensive parking lot with car
prowlers.

>     The only cases where public transportation wins is when the roads are
> so poorly designed/maintained that they're a complete impediment to the
> rapid flow of private vehicular traffic.  That is not the case in
> virtually all of America, even Paul's dreaded Los Angeles.  Down there I
> lived in Long Beach, worked in Pasadena and commuted to work every day.
> It took me just a hair over 45m by motorcycle in the "horrible" rush hour
> traffic.  The one time I looked at public transportation it would've been
> over 2 hours for the same distance.

Would be half that if LA had not destroyed it's public transport in the
1940s and 1950s.  45 minutes is a long commute by anybody's standards.