Re: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

Joe Hart wrote:
> Why?  Because a) a bus comes every seven minutes  b) I don't have to
> deal with the traffic (which is bad at times).

    Every 7 minutes?  So at 3:14am I can expect a bus by 3:21am?

> Plus side, don't have to search for a parking space, minus side have to
> lug the suitcases on the bus/train.

    For us it's simpler.  We drive to the airport, part where we want (of
which there is ample parking) and take the shuttle which drops us off at the
terminal of our choice.  Since the shuttles are designed to carry passengers
and their luggage no problems with the luggage.

> Where I live, it is the _bicycle_ that is the preferred method of
> transportation.  Not so bad when the weather is nice, but I'm too
> Americanized to use it for my grocery shopping (although there are a lot
> of Dutch who do).

    Which seems foolish all around.  To bike anywhere I would want to go would
take the better part of an hour one way.  Or, ohhhh, less than 10m by my
motorcycle.  So a short errand of 35m (10m drive, 5m park, 10m shopping, 10m
back home) becomes an all-afternoon adventure on a bicycle.  Nevermind that
the carying capacity on my motorcycle is greater than that of a bicycle.  Even
buses would take longer to get to the store I am thinking of, at least 35m
from my house to the store since it isn't door-to-door service that the
motorcycle provides.  Still the better part of the afternoon.

    The only cases where public transportation wins is when the roads are so
poorly designed/maintained that they're a complete impediment to the rapid
flow of private vehicular traffic.  That is not the case in virtually all of
America, even Paul's dreaded Los Angeles.  Down there I lived in Long Beach,
worked in Pasadena and commuted to work every day.  It took me just a hair
over 45m by motorcycle in the "horrible" rush hour traffic.  The one time I
looked at public transportation it would've been over 2 hours for the same
distance.