Re: sarge/woody upgrade - boot problem

On Mar 01 2007, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 03/01/07 18:22, Arlie Stephens wrote:
> > On Mar 01 2007, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >> On 03/01/07 09:48, Arlie Stephens wrote:
> >
> [snip]
> > I'll make one tonight, and try re-installing LILO.
> > Then I'll doubtless be on to the next problem, but it's a stage in the
> > right direction. Thank you very much.
>
> You know, it would be much faster if you just do a direct install of
> Etch, wiping out (before, of course, saving all mods from /etc...)
> everything except /home.

*sigh* You are the second person to suggest in effect never actually
upgrading a debian system, or at least never going from woody to
sarge.

I'd be much happier is this had happened *after* etch became
officially stable. There's been a lot of churn in the last month or
so, and I'm concerned that somehow having started before it went
stable will get me into similar problems, some time in the future,
updating (or upgrading) etch. Plus, I already have one system on etch,
and it's needing a lot of updating - even while I'm still working on
sorting out the gotchas and normal systems administration chores to
get it into active use. (Serves me right for going with 'testing', but
the improved X support is almost worth the added hassle ;-))

--
Arlie

(Arlie Stephens	                              arlie@worldash.org)