Re: OT: sponge burning!

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 14:33 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 11:25:27AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >
> > we already went throught the mean/median thing so,
> >
> > median household income in my district $43,2xx
> > congress-critter income		       $165,200
> >
> > even more significant. those folks at that median income are living
> on
> > the edge. at $165k here you could live like a king, really.
> >
> True.  But your senator has to live there *and* in DC.

I just hate this, it is misleading. True they need to live in both
places. The *DC* residence is heavily subsidized by the Federal
Government, through off-budget funds and other means.

If you take into account ALL of the stuff you and I have to pay for
(guards, chauffeurs, vehicles, chefs... etc), they get for free, it
would be much more than $165K, being far beyond our means.

BTW, Studio apartments in DC are a minimum of $650 without any parking
or closeness to the capitol... and that also means MANY people live in
the building. Which precludes it from being a candidate for any
politician. Looks like the best guesstimate is about $4000/month for a
"suitable" house/living quarters, with the requirements most politicians
need... and that is LOW. $50K/year which would be about 1/3rd of his
gross earning. Never happen.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup