Re: OT: sponge burning!

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:55:28AM +0100, Dan H. wrote:
>>
>> I think in any society, no matter in what system, it's always the stupid
>> and poor that end up in the military, at least in those ranks that
>> actually have to do the dirty work and risk their lives.
>>
> Please stop perpetuating this myth.  It only makes *you* look stupid.  I
> gave a very thorough example [0] using the U.S. Air Force, to show that
> both officer and enlisted personnel are on average *far* more educated
> than the average American.  Now, perhaps that is because it is an all
> volunteer force.

I think it has more to do with skilled versus unskilled labor at the bottom
rungs of the ladder in general.

Unskilled:  Army Infantry.  Frontline trench-fighting groundpounding cannon
fodder.

Skilled:  Aircraft mechanic.  Hangar dwelling, wrech weilding brainiac.

The other thing is morale.  You find a lot more lifetime Air Force guys than
Army out there, I think this has a lot to do with the fact you're sending
your boss off into battle instead of the other way around.  Longer career
== greater experience.