Re: OT: sponge burning!

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:55:28AM +0100, Dan H. wrote:

> I think in any society, no matter in what system, it's always the stupid
> and poor that end up in the military, at least in those ranks that
> actually have to do the dirty work and risk their lives.

Please stop perpetuating this myth.  It only makes *you* look stupid.  I
gave a very thorough example [0] using the U.S. Air Force, to show that
both officer and enlisted personnel are on average *far* more educated
than the average American.  Now, perhaps that is because it is an all
volunteer force.

Andrew even brought up the US Army as an example of a branch of service
with more minorities and less educated personnel.  Of course, they offer
the best college benefits of all the services.  So, if I had to have a
guarantee of money for college once I got out, I'd seriously consider
the Army.

So, to sum it up, people in the military (at least in the US) are there
because they *want* to be there.  Granted, some people have fewer
options and so choose the military (nearly every job is considered
entry-level, except for perhaps engineer, doctor, lawyer or other jobs
that carry specific academic criteria).

I had a neighbor who is a facial surgeon who has aggressively recruited
by the Army while he was in residency.  They offered to pay off all his
loans, signing bonus, the whole deal.  He turned them down and went into
private practice.  He told me that he oftentimes wished he had taken
then up and done a stint of a few years.

There are a few army veterans in my church.  Most served in Korea or
Vietnam.  When I ask them about their service, they said that their main
regret was that they had not stayed in.  This is from people who went in
with draftees or were drafted themselves.  I mean, the 50s-70s were not
exactly the high water mark for the US military.

I mean heck, the new US commander in Iraq is putting together a group of
officers [2] with the following qualifications:

 * combat experience in Iraq
 * PhD from top university
 * critical of the war

These are the people who will be making recommendations to the new US
commander.  Now, if the Congress, the Secretary of Defense and the
President will let them do their jobs remains to be seen.

But then again, maybe you and John Kerry are right [3].

Regards,

-Roberto

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/02/msg03913.html
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/02/msg04336.html