Re: OT

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 08:44:00PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> I think it is just a matter of perspective.  These OT threads are
> happening now, and so have an immediacy in our minds.  After a few
> weeks, they will fade from memory and things will appear as though they
> have always been normal.

I agree. There seems to be a group complaining about another group's
occasional forays into OT jabber. Fine, they have a right to
complain.  I don't think any of us should be excused form this
behavior necessarily, but I think there needs to be a bit of tolerance
(how much? I don't know) in the realization that we spend a *lot* of
time here and someitmes it happens. I don't think anyone is really
gratuitously pursuing massive OT flamage, it just happens. What I find
interesting, is now the complaints about the latest OT flame war, and
the subsequent arguing about it, is becoming just as annoying as the
original war that started it. It looked to me like the war was on its
way out and then a bunch of people began complaining about it which
has caused it to flare up again. no blame assignment here, because
that "just happens" too.

I have personally, though silently, vowed to be more careful to avoid
such situations, but I will also vigorously defend my right to jump in
now and then. moderation (as in self-control, not external control) is
the key.