Re: OT

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 07:58:35PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 07:57:00PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > > Some folks around here consider myself, Ron, Paul, Andrew and some of
> > > the others to be experts.  I don't think any of us is in any danger of
> > > quitting the list.
> >
> > I am.
> >
> I'm sorry to hear that.  Of course, I expect that you are more than
> capable of efficiently ignoring the OT threads, if you so choose.

The problem is that this small group of prolific posters do not
start their own pointless time-sucking masturbatory threads, they
hijack other people's legitimate threads.

I can quite easily mark the entire thread or subthread as read, and
since this is a relatively small group of people it's possible I
could start to automatically weed them out.  However every step
taken requires more effort and increases the chances that the real
on-topic messages in the threads are overlooked.

Also quite apart from the relative ease at which _I_ can deal with
the problem, not everyone can, and I can imagine it would be
discouraging at best for those who are already lost and confused by
Debian to have to sort through hundreds of UNBELIEVABLY off-topic
postings.

Given how easy it would be for these people to display some
self-restraint and a modicum of respect, I really hope they do,
before other measures become necessary.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB