Re: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

Stephen wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 09:34:12AM -0600 or thereabouts, Kent West wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> >But coal is less oogey-boogey scary [than nuclear].
>> >
>> >Besides, the power (a *LOT* of power) has to come from *somewhere*,
>> >on a *large* industrial scale.  Especially over in China, where coal
>> >and auto pollution is hundreds of times worse than in the West.
>> >

>> I'm expecting solar power to become practical in the next three years or
>> so. At least, that's what the press-releases tell me to think ;-)
>
> Actually most practical people know that this won't ever be the case.
> TVO (TV Ontario recently had a panel dicussion with some expert
> discussion supporting this [from the green side]). Wind/Solar energy
> isn't sustainable, and in a best case scenario will only be able to
> support energy that remains constant 24/7, regardless of overcast or
> windless days.

How many hydro dams are on the Mississippi, anyway?  It would be a waste to
be using coal or nuclear if there's a large, year round body of water
subject to downhill flow.  The pacific northwest and California gets the
vast majority of it's electric from the Columbia and Snake rivers.