Re: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

Ron Johnson wrote:

              but then again, storing it in underground bunkers for
thousands of years doesn't appear to be a much better solution.

Sure it does.
Oh, yeah.  Leave it for later generation to clean up...  very much better.
                                                                 The
point is that TMI and Chernobyl were accidents. Sellafield isn't. Nuclear policy overrides safety when it's "convenient" -

*Any* policy *always* overrides safety when it's "convenient".  If
you don't know that, you aren't very old.
Which is precisely my point. It's always "convenient"... so how can it be "clean"?
<quote>
The Sellafield nuclear installation in north-west England produces vital
energy to the people of the United Kingdom. It also produces weapons
grade material needed for the production of nuclear weapons. For these
reasons, Sellafield is an important facility for the U.K. in terms of
domestic and security needs. Although Sellafield provides important
services for the people and government of the United Kingdom, it has had
a detrimental effect on the environment.
</quote>

Because it's "important" it's allowed to pollute. And while it "produces
vital energy for the UK", it hurts Ireland which has none of the
benefits of this facility.

And if this were some industrial plant dumping PCBs or DDT or any
other weird organic chemical the ocean, how would it be any
different than a nuke plant?
It wouldn't. except perhaps if the toxins didn't last as long as the nuclear material.
a "Christian" country...
Britain is Christian??  Not since 1960, I wager.
We have a State Church... something that you don't have... yet.  Though,
if your president has his way...

Snarky, baseless, brainless angry-at-W comments don't help your
credibility.
You mean he isn't trying make your country a theocracy? woohoo! Such a lot of baseless rumours going about.

<http://www.theocracywatch.org/>

<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/19/books/review/19brink.html?ex=1300424400&en=b418049d5787048d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>

<http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5290373>

--