Re: Audio: OSS emulation issues

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

[...]
I don't think it specifies that its setting up OSS, but jsut does
it. i could be wrong about what it tells you but to my knowledge, it
should just setup OSS emulation as the default.

what is the output of

grep oss /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Ah, got it!  Many thanks.

That line gave me the clue: alsa-base wasn't installed, hence hadn't done the setup needed.

Now I've installed it, everything is fine.

So, I guess this is a missing dependency somewhere... I guess this means any package which uses OSS sound should depend on alsa-base... except that this wouldn't be applicable on systems which have been set up to use OSS natively; and I don't know about the default sound setup, without linux-sound-base installed. It doesn't help that all of these are optional packages...

I have no idea how to go about submitting a bug report for this, as it's not obvious which package has the bug. They'll want to fix it for the release of etch, though, I should think.

Cheers,

Nikhil.