Re: Audio: OSS emulation issues

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

[...]
I hadn't - I wasn't aware I was supposed to.  I've done so now, removing
my /etc/modprobe.d/oss-emulation first in case it got in the way.  I then
rebooted, and the situation seems exactly the same: no /dev/dsp, no *oss
modules loaded, flite breaks horribly.

so, what was the state of the system after running alsaconf but before
the reboot? did things work then?

If they didn't work, then there is more work to be done. If they did
work, then likely your state is just not being saved.

No, it didn't work immediately after, either.

To clarify this: audio, in general, is working; it's OSS emulation which isn't available, so any packages which don't use ALSA (flite, in this case) crash. As an aside, while mplayer worked fine under alsa-oss (aoss mplayer -ao oss foo.mp3), flite sounded absolutely horrible under alsa-oss, while fine under the kernel-level emulation (after modprobe snd-pcm-oss).

Sorry, back on track. I didn't get any output from alsaconf to indicate that it was setting up OSS emulation. It is supposed to, is it?

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill, here? Should I just add the 3 snd-*-oss modules to /etc/modules?

Cheers,

Nikhil.