Re: Audio: OSS emulation issues

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 04:38:41PM +0000, Nikhil Nair wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> >[...]
> >so, when you reboot, what is the state of snd-pcm-oss? is it already
> >loaded so that your modprobe is reloading it? or it is not loaded?
>
> As far as I understand, it's not loaded: /dev/dsp is missing, and lsmod
> does not list any *oss modules.

okay.

> >[...]
> >have you run alsaconf? all of this should be taken care of by running
> >that. it sets up all the aliases so that the devices are created at
> >boot.
>
> I hadn't - I wasn't aware I was supposed to.  I've done so now, removing
> my /etc/modprobe.d/oss-emulation first in case it got in the way.  I then
> rebooted, and the situation seems exactly the same: no /dev/dsp, no *oss
> modules loaded, flite breaks horribly.

so, what was the state of the system after running alsaconf but before
the reboot? did things work then?

If they didn't work, then there is more work to be done. If they did
work, then likely your state is just not being saved.

you might try

alsactl store

to make sure the state of the sound system is saved before the
reboot.

> Is all this documented? - I notice I probably should have known about
> alsaconf, but din't.

yeah, honestly I don't know the state of the documentation of this. It
is all over this list, but I don't know where else.