Re: Audio: OSS emulation issues

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 06:43:33PM +0000, Nikhil Nair wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> >[...]
> >>I hadn't - I wasn't aware I was supposed to.  I've done so now,
> >>removing
> >>my /etc/modprobe.d/oss-emulation first in case it got in the way.  I
> >>then
> >>rebooted, and the situation seems exactly the same: no /dev/dsp, no
> >>*oss
> >>modules loaded, flite breaks horribly.
> >>

> >so, what was the state of the system after running alsaconf but before
> >the reboot? did things work then?
> >
> >If they didn't work, then there is more work to be done. If they did
> >work, then likely your state is just not being saved.
>
> No, it didn't work immediately after, either.

well, you're pastmy limits then. I would google on ALSA oss emulation
and whatever your sound card is. Also look for ALSA bugs complaining
of this problem -- failing to configure/load oss emulation.

> To clarify this: audio, in general, is working; it's OSS emulation which
> isn't available, so any packages which don't use ALSA (flite, in this
> case) crash.  As an aside, while mplayer worked fine under alsa-oss
> (aoss mplayer -ao oss foo.mp3), flite sounded absolutely horrible under
> alsa-oss, while fine under the kernel-level emulation (after modprobe
> snd-pcm-oss).
>
> Sorry, back on track.  I didn't get any output from alsaconf to indicate
> that it was setting up OSS emulation.  It is supposed to, is it?

I don't think it specifies that its setting up OSS, but jsut does
it. i could be wrong about what it tells you but to my knowledge, it
should just setup OSS emulation as the default.

what is the output of

grep oss /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

> Am I making a mountain out of a molehill, here?  Should I just add the 3
> snd-*-oss modules to /etc/modules?

well that would be the work-around. And its up to you how far you want
to pursue it. it seems to me that there is a bug in the alsa
implementation and something specific to your card in terms of how
alsaconf sets up the modules. it should just work, IMO.