Re: OT: sponge burning!

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 01:56:29PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> hmmm... used to be the Senate was elected by the state
> legislatures. Would you propose returning to that? (can't remember the
> amendment number offhand) I don't think its a bad idea. Especially
> when you look at current abuses of NG's and Reserves. Governors are
> starting to complain about the lack of availability of their NG's and
> wondering if they'll get their equipment back. A senate that answered
> directly to states might have a profound impact on something like
> that.

It's been a while since my high school gov't class (in a public school
no less; read: government indoctrination center).  However, I seem to
recall that founders' intent was that the Senate represented the
interests of the government and the House represented the interestes of
the people.

The system we have now may as well be one house of congress.
Personally, I'd like to see a return to state legislatures electing
US senators.

Regards,

-Roberto

--