Re: OT: sponge burning!

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 01:39:40PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > Do you have a proposal for solving that problem?
>
>     Going back to a limited federal government as the founding fathers
> envisioned?  Returning the states' voice in the federal government?  Revamping

That's just plain crazy talk.  We need the government to step in and fix
every last little thing for us </sarcasm>

exhibit 1: Hurricane Andrew - destroyed practically all of South FL
federal disaster relief ~$12 Billion

exhibit 2: Hurricane Katrina - destroyed practically all of South LA, AL
and parts of MS and TX.
federal disaster relief ~120 Billion (yes an entire order of magnitude
higher) and still counting

I'm all for limited government getting out of people's way.

> the tax laws so that the rank and file citizen knows exactly what they're
> paying instead of what they're "getting"?

http://www.fairtax.org - total control over how much tax you pay

Good luck getting many entrenched politicians to support it though.  The
lobbies would end.

>     I think all of those individually, much less combined, would do more good
> than increasing the power of the federal government and closing the process to
> only those the government itself would deem worthy of inclusion.

Very true.

Regards,

-Roberto

--