Re: REALLY OT: News Flash

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 10:11:18AM +0100, Dan H. wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
> > When the Bible says something, I believe it.
>
> Isn't that a bit silly? After all, the Bible is a collection of stories,
> told and retold by people, written and rewritten by people, edited and
> re-edited by people over centuries. Translations abound, first-,
> second-, and third-generation. It wasn't faxed from Heaven as I've heard
> somewhere. There is no such thing as "The" Bible, and therefore it isn't
> advisable to take anything from it at face value and just believe it,
> like with any other book. After all, the Bible is an nothing but a book.
> Written by people of faith (and of many varying flavours of faith), but
> just a book nonetheless.
>
> Personally I'm an atheist, but I was raised by a Christian theologist
> (who'd actually prefer me to be a Christian, but for that she's
> encouraged me too much to use my brain), and what I've written would
> pretty much reflect her view, too.

This argument is constantly trotted out by athiests and people who
disbelieve the Bible.  It's a matter faith.  You can choose to believe
that it is just a collection of stories.  I choose to believe that it is
the infallible Word of God.

I would doubt the "Christianity" of any one who claims to be Christian
and expresses the view that you have stated.

Besides, if God is going to judge all people, what is he going to do it
based on?  Hint: his Word.

If you go to court and you are judged, what is the first thing your
lawyer is going to do?  Examine the law and the charge to see if it has
merit.  Well, how can God expect to judge us fairly if he has not
explicitly given us the rules by which we will be judged?

If you go to court and you tell the judge that you were acting in
acordance with the rules of a book written by some guys who *thought*
they knew the law and were trying to make it easier to regular people to
undertand, the judge will probably tell you "sorry, but the law is the
law."  How then, can God judge people when the don't know how they will
be judged?

Regards,

-Roberto

--